Wednesday, January 17, 2007


Confessions of Martial Artist 2

The Genesis

The Genesis of martial arts in my life has to do with something more of my character and way of thinking rather than someones influence . i had a quirk of Confrontationist Attitude...Confront everything .....
Confront Parents
Confront Society
Confront Rules n Norms
Confront Fear
Confront Bullies
My mind had more leaning towards warfare rather than studies and silly games of childhood. I was less than 10 years when i designed small robot ala Giant Robot with sticks and scales and which actually fires pellets .Commando Comics helped me in differentiate between AK-47 and Sten guns or a sniper rifle and stories of WorldWar 2 . After all ....

Design of Weapon is Mans first sign of Intelligence

You cannot expect a teenager to get all these weapons or even minor ones so natural graduation is to drop comic hand made gun and make urself one ..ie., turn your body into one weapon.The obvious answer lies in learning karate (thats the only martial art style i knew ). With High Priest of Home (*read as my dad) refusing to give his consent, i had to satisfy myself reading books on martial arts .

My journey into Martial Arts began at very young age though never entered into any professional school but the seed was present in my school days....The idea germinated annd nurtured only in dreams untill my late teens when i finally entered Okinowa Karate School in StAndrews School . I had to join the class secretly coz my parents never wanted their only son to be beaten black and blue , reluctantly , later , they gave me their permission .

Okinowa is painfully slow to suit my temperment..so i turned to Korean art Taekwondo . This suited me for it uses mostly legs and kicks .And to my advantage i am tall and long legs can keep my opponents at bay . Taekwondo gave me 1st opportunity to enter my 1st competition and my 1st taste of fear of getting black eye .The fear was really exasperating but neverthless i won my 1st silver medal but was never given due to some politics . Its not the medal that really counted but finally i went face to face with my fear.

Being an Engg student in CBIT . 30 kms away from home , and coupled with pressures of Asthma and College Curricullum , i had to call martail arts quits for next 4 years . With long hiatus in between , my skill came down drastically but neverthless confidence and courage retained.....
till i met Elderly Japanese Gentleman Sensei Hiroyuki Kumai .......

No comments:

Hardest fall of my life when my heart broke- part1

 Part 2 I will write on how it all started. This, part 1, my emotional tornado when my relationship ended two days ago. Other day I had my...