Sunday, July 28, 2013

League of Extra Ordinary Gentlemen-2 : MY MARTIAL ARTS MASTER


MY MARTIAL ARTS MASTER …!!!

I give up…!!!”….i muttered as I gasped for my breath

 Words were unnecessary. Already I was down with head dug into my chest covering my head with hands on the cement floor. Deep fear assaulted every cell of my body. I was drenched in sweat and shame and hopelessly frightened.

A minute ago I courageously faced my Master in full contact kumite sparring. It was impossible to breach his defenses. I blended Speed and Power to every trick in world of martial arts. But no avail!! . He parried all my kicks and punches and finally jabbed me in my tummy very softly.


Yeah. Softly !. Jabbed softly and lifted me into air in one single fluid motion with clenched fist. 6ft- 75 kgs-Bantam weight level silver medalist-praveen sagar thrown royally one metre away. All my self confidence and royal ego gone down the drain

What was I expecting? Was I dreaming beating this man? This man who is one of the champions of Japan. Trained under disciple who himself was trained under Mas Oyama-worlds strongest martial artist. Mas Oyama who fought 400+ fighters. My own master had to fight 100 tough fighters to get his black belt. At 60th fighter, his leg broke, he had to fight with broken leg at next 40 fighters (google if u don’t belive it) These men belonged to old school of kyokinshai karate. 

 http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/2002/12/05/stories/2002120500610400.htm

A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action 
                             --Samurai maxim

Its not martial arts I was been taught. I was taught lessons which will not be taught in colleges.  Our class would begin at 5.20 am. Actually it was at 5.15 am. After we complained that its very cold in 5.15 am, my master gave us permission to come at 5.20 am. Now I know what you are thinking. Just 5 minutes?. Believe me friends, for him even 1 minute is worth gold. Japanese are known for punctuality and time sense. My association with him for 5 years made me see it in action. I never believed that anyone can maintain time in India, esp moving in notorious Hyderabad’s traffic. But he was always on dot. When he says, 9.20 am. Its 9.20.  not 9.19 or 9.21.  Now that’s Ripley’s believe it or not.

Leaders Lead…!!!

Before class begins, we had to clean the floor. It’s the practice which should be emulated in India where boss do nothing as subordinates slog sweat out. In class, dirtiest job will be done by Master. Small things like sweeping, wiping floor is done by us. New comer just watches or does smaller work. But menial job like wiping some dog shit is work of big boss. No wonder , as subordinates grew in ranks, they wont feel ashamed of work and juniors as well are motivated by such boss

Iam not going to teach you my art. Iam going to share it with you –Bruce lee

There was nothing he taught which he himself will not do with us. No ivory tower approach. He was in 50s , 100+ kgs ( its 120, now he reduced), yet he moved like light. There was no jealousy on other styles which is a malaise every martial arts school undergoes. He never said, he is best.  On other way, he always encouraged us to learn best from everywhere .I was exposed to three different martial arts schools earlier. What we used to do there in 2 hrs, here we used to do in ½ hour. Total time optimization.

I can defeat you physically with or without a reason but I can only defeat your mind with a reason--- jim lau

We students were not allowed to participate in local competitions. He always used to say that he was only teaching us discipline and fitness exercises. When all other martial artists believed in more pomp and show. My teacher was extremely low profile. There were no fees. No new student survived more than 7 classes. Not that he is strict in karate. He is mercilessly strict with time. Even one minute wastage was unpardonable. Commitment is 100%. Come rain, shine, sickness..he will keep his word and time.


In his 10 year, Indian sojourn, only 5 people were awarded belt. Its character, discipline, which are more important parameters for belt than how good you are at karate. For Master, there are no favourites. He genuinely loved everyone equally.

To win 100 victories is not highest skill. To subdue the nermy without fighting is highest skill—Sun Tzu

He is quite clear. Violence is unjustified in any form or manifestation.
 There was a new guy who once asked what he should do if people attacked him and what’s the point in learning karate ?
.
People were shocked at the answer.

He calmly and confidently said. “Run…just run away….karate I teach is to able to escape, push the attacker and run away very very fast from scene of violence. Karate is to bring peace out of you”. He always insisted to be good in studies and take his classes when we have free time.

Hmm..We never understood. But its true. After reading “Zen in Martial arts by Joe hyams” I grasped the wisdom. Strongest person never fights. Strongest and wisest are 1st to forgive. Its only the weak who has point to prove. People like my masters are super strong and they know it. Hence they don’t mind apologizing if his apology can avert nasty incidents. They are centered with no ego.
(This concept is more to be experienced than understood logically. If u understood it , I take it that ur quite advanced spiritually and wise)


I stopped all kinds of martial arts 10 years ago. My karate dress, gloves and
nan-chuk lie in some forgotten corner. Certificate in Japanese is pride among my other documents. I am totally contented, satisfied and absolutely no regrets. Though my hands and legs have forgotten lessons in karate , his lessons on life were nevertheless drilled into my bone memory which will leave only with death of this body. We are no longer in contact but nevertheless every march 20, on my birthday, I know for sure I will have an elaborate mail of pearls of birthday wishes and wisdom vignettes in my inbox.
 Coming back to moments when I was beaten by him..


Well., I was not ashamed that I was beaten. But I was ashamed that I got frightened. Next,for 7 days, I trained till the point when I faced him again….history repeated….but with mild changes in script. I stood my ground. Though I was beaten, I was able to penetrate his defenses, was able to “touch” him with my fist….believe me..no one was able to do it…its kinda personal record for me.

No comments:

Hardest fall of my life when my heart broke- part1

 Part 2 I will write on how it all started. This, part 1, my emotional tornado when my relationship ended two days ago. Other day I had my...